The Syracuse University Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Research Program is a paid summer research opportunity that provides undergraduate scholars with the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty and staff as well as network with others in their field of interest. Student scholars have the opportunity to conduct and present research over a ten-week period under the direction of a faculty research mentor at Syracuse University.
Summer Scholars have the opportunity to:
- Develop a meaningful research relationship with a faculty/research mentor
- Design a research poster and discuss research results at the summer symposium
Through this program, scholars will gain theoretical knowledge and practical training in academic research and scientific experimentation. The SU LSAMP research program was developed to aid in the retention of traditionally underrepresented groups in the sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
What are the benefits?
- $3500 research stipend
- Round-trip travel stipend of up to $150 (for students living outside of the Syracuse area)
- Free double occupancy room and board on the SU campus
- State-of-the-art laboratories, libraries, computers, etc.
- Meals provided during group events
Who is eligible?
- Students must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident and African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.80 or better
- Have completed at least two semesters of college
- Participants may NOT take courses during the summer program
Students may apply for research opportunities in any of the following NSF-classified STEM disciplines: Applied Mathematics, Architecture, Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering (Aerospace, Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Environmental, Mechanical) Information Sciences, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Nutrition Sciences, Physics, Statistics, Systems Science.
Application Deadline: February 22, 2019
Notification of acceptance: March 30, 2019
Application PDF includes eligibility information, application, and faculty recommendation form
Send completed applications to:
Syracuse University LSAMP
404 Sims Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244